Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Discrimination

Discrimination. The dictionary defines it as:  making a distinction in favor of or against, a person based on the group, class, or category to which that person belongs rather than on individual merit.

One problem with those who discriminate is that they usually have no idea that they are doing it.

My child was discriminated against this week, although I doubt the parties involved would recognize it as such. People in authority made a distinction against him because he has a disability. Rather than saying what they thought to be true, that he is unteachable and can't learn the routine or the rules, they couched it in acceptable terms and turned it back onto themselves..."We are not equipped to handle special needs." But I see it for exactly what it is.

It's not about their abilities...it's about his. Or rather, their assumption of his lack of abilities.

They were scared. I see that now.

They're from a different era, when those with differences like Eon's were pitied or safely hidden from view.

They are also people who value control and structure. Eon was a threat to that. They thought he'd be unpredictable...that he might say or do something beyond their control. Rather than engage him and treat him like the three-year-old boy that he is, they cowered and became defensive.

We are not equipped to handle special needs.

Thankfully, there was someone else in charge. This person has taken the time to know Eon. She believes in him. She stood up for him, uncovered the fear, and challenged their response.  

She also successfully talked this mama-bear down. I'll be honest. I wanted to turn tail and run, never to return. She showed me that I need to stay and educate. I will do what I can.

Ultimately, it's Eon that's going to change hearts and expand minds.

2 comments:

  1. Glad someone else with an open heart and mind stepped in. Hope it turns out amazingly well, I am sure he will win the unbelievers over in no time. Can't isn't in our vocabulary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad some one else was on hand...Some one who sees all the potential in Eon.

    ReplyDelete