Monday, September 3, 2012

Life With My Boy

Our little farmer
Eon is 3 1/2 years-old. He continues to be an absolute delight...when he's not too busy being an absolute stinker! :) He thrives on routine, but loves new experiences, too.

Little sister KJ
He adores his little sister, KJ (now 21 mos.). They are each other's favorite playmate. Eon will wait for her to wake up in the morning and the minute he hears her call, he bursts in her room with a loud, "Hiiiiiiiii!" Then there is a general love fest that lasts about 5 minutes with lots of hugs and kisses and smiles until one of them tries to shove the other down the stairs. ;)

He attends developmental preschool three afternoons a week and rides the bus, which is new this year. He loves it! From the reaction of the staff, it's easy to see that he's a class favorite. 
First day of school.
Needs a little work on applying the backpack!



Speech continues to be his biggest issue. His receptive language is spot on, but he is hugely delayed in expressive speech. We recently started taking him to a local outpatient clinic for additional speech therapy as we felt the school therapy wasn't nearly enough. (and I felt the therapist did a poor job of communicating with me last year, so I wasn't real optimistic about this year.) I can tell Eon is frustrated with his inability to communicate sometimes. It frustrates me, too, and is my greatest area of concern for him.

He's made some real gains in the last few months. He no longer needs his liquids thickened and can drink from an open cup with rare spillage. We have not actually had a recent swallow study to confirm that he's not aspirating on thin liquids, but he has no signs of aspiration, nor has he had any congestion since we stopped thickening, so I think we're good.

He doesn't bolt from us in public nearly as often, which is HUGE! When I allow him to let go of my hand to run ahead, like at the park, he stops and checks with me several times for reassurance that it's okay, so I think he's starting to understand what's expected. At the state fair this year, he started to run and I caught him. I squatted down and asked him where he was going. He pointed off somewhere and I said, "If you run off, I'm afraid you will get lost and I love you too much to lose you." He threw his arms around me and just leaned in for the longest hug. I think he really understood and stayed with us the rest of the visit.

Eon is about 75% accurate with his colors and is starting to learn shapes. We're also working on recognizing his written name. That reminds me of a story: When he gets in trouble or I really want him to listen to me, I will use his given and middle names, Simeon Israel. Recently, his 5-year-old brother, Zak, asked me, "Why do you always say Eon's real and not me?" "What are you talking about?" I responded.  "You say, 'Simeon IS real,'" he answered. "No, Zak, I'm not saying that he's real. Israel is his middle name! " LOL! Years of therapy avoided with one question. Whew!

Eon loves coffee! Child after my own heart. :) If he gets up before I leave for work, we'll have coffee and breakfast together. (Don't worry...decaf for him.) It's a special time.

He continues to be just one of the boys in our family, and yet, his chromosomal enhancement does set him apart. He's very sensitive and, while he will get physically hurt and barely notice, if there is an emotional component attached, he will be almost inconsolable. He has an empathy for others that is rare for a child his age, too. And kids with low muscle tone give the best hugs. He's a joy and we are so blessed to be his parents!
Boys and dirt...awesome combination!
 

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! Great seeing the photos of your littles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading about your son Eon . I loved the story about his middle name . It made me laugh out loud so hard . It sounds like you have a precious family .

    ReplyDelete
  3. you forgot to mention that he was born on my birthday!! That in itself makes him pretty special! What a joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post. Sounds like he is doing fabulous! Love his connection with KJ!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's such a handsome boy and sounds like he's doing great! Verbal expressive language is our struggle too. Loving the exciting things happening with your adoption - you are so awesome to keep your patience and perseverance about you and sounds like God is blessing you enormously!

    I can't remember where you live, but let me know if you're ever in the area! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tara,

    How are you? I haven't looked at your blog in awhile, but, enjoyed "catching up."

    Speech is also my biggest "issue" with Jacob. Reading your post confirmed our decision to seek extra weekly speech therapy for Jacob once he "phases out" of Early Intervention in a few weeks when he turns 3 on November 13th. Enjoy your day and congrats on your "paper" pregnancy -- I'm praying for you as you wait for the next step to move forward. If you haven't read the Mussers adoption story (and adopting again), you may want to check it out, google, The Blessing of Verity and you'll find it.

    ((Hugs)) and prayers,

    Anna (Jacob's mommy from BBC)

    "Wait for the LORD, be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD." Psalm 27:14 (NIV)

    ReplyDelete