Friday, February 12, 2010

Annual Evaluation

Eon had his annual evaluation for First Steps, Indiana's version of early intervention. It's performed by a team that works outside of our county, not his current therapists. The OT that did his initial eval returned. It was so fun to see her again and she was so excited to see Eon. She raved and raved about how big and cute he is. I remember that when she did the initial, she brought me an article about three adults with Down syndrome that are doing really well and loving life. She also brought me a copy of "Welcome to Holland", which I'd seen before, but really appreciated.

I reminded her of that yesterday and told her what a blessing it was to receive those when the diagnosis was so fresh.

They asked a gazillion questions and put him through his paces. I've mentioned before how Eon just stares at people suspiciously if he doesn't know them, but he must be loosening up a bit, because he actually smiled at them and laughed at the DT. About halfway through, one of them mentioned that he was scoring too high to qualify for services and the other reminded her that he qualifies on diagnosis alone! I was very pleased that he is doing that well. The IFSP is in a few weeks, so we'll see how he really did, but I think he's doing great and that's really all that matters.

Deb, the OT, asked me if I've connected with anyone locally on the same journey. I expressed my frustration over the fact that I haven't. I told her that I'd looked on the DSI website and the southside support group isn't meeting now. She made a call and, low and behold, they are meeting and the next meeting is.......tonight! I am so excited! Eon and I will be in attendance while Dad stays home with the rest of the crew. (We decided not to overwhelm anyone on our first introduction:)

I'm so hopeful that I can find someone who has a child near the same age so Eon can have a buddy. I'll let you know how it goes.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that is so exciting for you an Eon. It is really nice to have someone who is in the same boat, so you can share things, or NOT talk about it for a change! I really hope you find a new friend :) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara, why don't you do the mom's night out monthly in Indy with the moms from DSI? They meet once a month and the first 25 moms that RSVP get their dinner paid for. I don't go because it is just to far for me, maybe closer for you though?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara, I wanted to leave you a note to respond to the comment you left on my blog today. You are free to use Kevin's speech for your youth group - Kevin would be honored :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally off topic. I just want to thank you for fighting the good fight in some hard places (babycenter), places where I can't even get myself to go. But I do "troll" around there now and again, and I often see you there and just think, WOW, I love Tara! so I thought you should know that.

    ReplyDelete