Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Down syndrome clinic visit

Eon went for his one-year visit to the Down syndrome clinic at Riley, yesterday. For the first time, it didn't lead to any other appointments or tests. I was beyond thrilled! Everyone told me that all the hubaloo would die down after the first year and I guess they were right. The doctor actually wrote, "Looks awesome!" on his follow-up sheet! :) We go back in 6 months. Yay!

He had his well-baby visit at the general ped's office today. His pediatrician, Dr. Kidd (isn't that a perfect name for a pediatrician) said, "Honestly, Tara, I think you could take him to any doctor's office and if you didn't tell them he had Ds, they wouldn't know it." That really surprised me because I really "see" Ds in Eon. Dr. Kidd says that he does, too, but only because he knows he has it. Interesting and a little frustrating. I talked to another mom at the Ds clinic yesterday and I realized half-way through the conversation that she had just figured out that Eon had Ds, too. I would like for other families to have an instant connection with us. I swear we need a secret handshake or something.

Eon had another round of shots today and cried when he got them. Last time there were no tears and it kind of freaked me out, so I was actually relieved to hear him cry. He was over it by the time the nurse put the band-aids on him, though. He's not one to hold a grudge. :)

8 comments:

  1. So good to see you, so good to hear great reports.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome on the no more doc appts!! Big pat on the back for you also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that everything went well and that things are calming down. I like the idea of the secret handshake or wink or something. Gotta love less appointments. We aren't there yet, but we are looking forward to maybe a calm second year:) Yes it is shot season. We just got some too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we also have our first appt at our local DS clinic im very curious what they will tell us and will it be so diff then our regular dr.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tara,
    Just ran across your blog and I think that it is so great. I also advocate for people with disabilities. Do you have an email that I can send information that I know you would be interested in? You should also check out lifemyway.org. I think you'll enjoy it. There is also a section where you can submit you're story.

    Thanks,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear the great news!!! Keep up the great work Eon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I finally made it over to your blog Tara. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've never taken Matthew to a DS clinic. I've been curious though. Pretty sweet not to have any more doc appointments though. We have to take Matthew to separate appointments, which isn't a big deal for us right now since he's our one and only so far....until April that is.
    Also, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog about speech apraxia/ speech delay. I appreciate the pat on the back. Was there any particular thing you tried with your kids that seemed to work well? And that's too funny about having building a room for the ST. hahaha!!

    ReplyDelete