Friday, May 22, 2009

Home...for now

Simeon was finally discharged from the hospital yesterday. We were so blessed to have a private room for most of his stay. We didn't realize how blessed until they had to move us into a double room a few hours before discharge. Oh my. We were even more excited to be released!

He had his nap study in the morning, but I was told it was to be in the afternoon so I let him sleep after his 6:00 a.m. feeding. Ugh. So he just dozed a little bit during the study and never got into the deep, scary sleep. Needless to say, they didn't find anything.

What they did find (that is not related to the apnea, apparently) is that he has a double aortic arch. It's a fairly rare congenital cardiac abnormality that basically means that his two aortas form a ring around his neck, compressing his trachea and esophagus. He is virtually asymptomatic at this time, but as he grows the compression can cause scary respiratory and swallowing issues. It is very good that they found it so early because the worse the symptoms before surgery, the longer the recovery time. So, we are waiting on the call to schedule his surgery for sometime in the next few weeks.

Cardiovascular surgery is a little frightening. Strangely, I have perfect peace about it. I believe that God was protecting our little guy when he woke me up to check on him the other night ,and I believe that he was also protecting him when he allowed the doc to find the DAA on his upper GI test. As much as I would like to be in control, I am not. Amazingly, there is a peace with that knowledge.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Tara...you are so blessed to have such peace with all that is going on. You are correct in the fact that God is watching out for your precious little Eon. He remains in my prayers. Please keep us up-to-date. Blessings to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so good to have answers, even if they bring their own set of fears or concerns to deal with. But praise God that He's given you such peace with all of this! I will continue to keep you and Simeon in my prayers.

    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara-
    Wow! God really does work in mysterious ways, doesn't he?
    I'll be looking for updates and keeping you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete